Avast Mobile Security is a security app for Android designed to protect your device against unwanted phishing, malware, spyware, and malicious viruses such as Trojans. Refer to the sections in this article for instructions on using Avast Mobile Security.
This article assumes that the latest version of Avast Mobile Security is installed on your Android device. For detailed installation instructions, refer to the following article: Installing Avast Mobile Security
Navigate Avast Mobile Security
- Tap the Avast Mobile Security icon on the Home screen of your device. The app opens.
- The following options are available via the main app screen:
- Scan now: Scans all apps installed on your device and informs you about security risks caused by changes in default Android settings. You can optionally schedule the Scan option to run automatically.
- Hack alerts: Monitors all of the online accounts connected to your email address and notifies you if there has been a hack or leak.
- Clean junk: Analyzes your device and displays the amount of storage space that is being used by junk files. You can view the specific types of junk files on your device and select which items you want to remove.
- Scan Wi-Fi: Scans your Wi-Fi network for problems with your router, encryption, Wi-Fi, and connection. After scanning, the Scan Wi-Fi tile changes to Check speed.
- VPN protection: Allows you to connect to the internet via secure Avast VPN servers, using an encrypted tunnel to protect your online activity from eavesdropping.
The VPN protection feature in Avast Mobile Security is only available if you have an Avast Mobile Ultimate subscription. The tile shows asAutomatic Scan
for customers using free accounts. For more information, refer to the following article: Avast Mobile Security - FAQs ▸ VPN protection
- You can access additional features and settings using the options below:
- Home: Returns you to Avast Mobile Security Home screen.
- Explore: Provides access to all of the product features.
- Messages: Displays alerts that allow you to easily resolve any detected issues.
- Account: Includes various options, such as signing in to your Avast Account, checking your subscription details, and accessing the settings.
Schedule regular scans
The Scan now button on the main app screen scans all apps installed on your device and informs you about security risks caused by changes in default Android settings.
To schedule automatic scans:
- Tap Explore ▸ Scan Center.
- Tap Automatically scan for threats.
- Ensure the slider at the bottom of the screen is On.
- Specify Scan days and Scan time by selecting the days and time when you want the scan to automatically run. Optionally, tap the slider next to Include a Deep Scan to include a scan of the settings, behavior, and storage of your device.
Scheduled scans run automatically as configured.
Turn on Web Shield
Web Shield automatically blocks malicious URLs and warns you when you visit a potentially sensitive website. You can specify webpages that are always allowed or blocked. You can also use Scam Protection to check if the links you receive via email or SMS are safe and block or allow specific websites.
To turn on Web Shield:
- Tap Explore ▸ Web Shield.
- Tap Switch on. If prompted, follow the on-screen instructions to grant necessary permissions.
To allow or block specific websites:
- Tap Block or allow websites.
- Select one of the following options:
- Allowed: Add a website that Avast will never block if you know that it is safe to open. We recommended not allowing a website that was previously blocked by Avast.
- Blocked: Add a website that Avast will never allow to open.
- Tap Add website, then enter the URL of the webpage you want to allow or block and tap Add website again.
To remove a website from your Allowed or Blocked list, tap
⋮ More options (three dots) ▸ Remove.
To turn off Web Shield, on the main Web Shield screen, tap
⋮ More options (three dots) ▸
Configure Photo Vault
Photo Vault allows you to protect access to your photos with a PIN code. Photos that are moved to Photo Vault are encrypted and hidden.
To protect photos using Photo Vault:
- Tap Explore ▸ Photo Vault.
- Tap Continue and, if prompted, follow the on-screen instructions to Set up PIN and Grant permissions.
- Once Photo Vault is enabled, tap Add photo and select one of the following options:
- Take new photo: Take a new photo and directly add it to Photo Vault.
- Import from gallery: Select photos from your existing gallery. Taps the photo(s) that you want to hide, then tap Hide now.
The selected photos now appear in your Photo Vault.
In the free version of Avast Mobile Security, you can protect up to 10 photos. With a paid version of the app, you can protect an unlimited number of photos.
Check for hacks and leaks
The Hack Alerts feature monitors all of the online accounts connected to your email address and notifies you if there has been a hack or leak.
To use this feature, you must sign into your Avast Account. If you do not have an Avast Account, refer to the following article: Creating an Avast Account.
To enable Hack Alerts:
- Tap the Hack alerts tile.
- Tap Add email ▸ Go to account.
- Enter your Avast Account credentials, then tap Continue.
- Tap Add email ▸ Add.
- Wait while Avast Mobile Security scans for leaked data involving your email address. The scan results show any affected online accounts or the message No compromised accounts.
TapStart monitoring ▸ Done.(Video) How To Install Avast Antivirus On Android Device
After the email address is verified, Avast Mobile Security will continuously monitor for new data breaches involving this email address. You can also add additional email addresses to your monitoring list.
Manually check an email address
To manually check an email address for leaks:
- Tap Hack alerts ▸ Check now.
- Enter the email you want to check and tap Check data breaches
To disable Hack Alerts, select the email you want to stop monitoring and tap (the trash icon) ▸Yes, remove
Configure App Lock
App Lock is only available if you have anAvast Mobile Security Premium
App Lock protects your sensitive apps with a PIN or pattern. To enable this feature:
- Tap Explore ▸ App Lock.
- If prompted, tap Get started and follow the on-screen instructions to Set up PIN and / or Grant permissions. Then, tap Enable app lock.
- If prompted, tap the gray (Off) slider so it changes to green (On).
App Lock is now enabled and you can start protecting apps from the main App Lock screen. Tap the slider next to an app you want to protect so that it changes to green (On).
Manage App Lock settings
To manage App Lock settings:
⋮More options (three dots) ▸ Settings.
- Tap PIN & pattern to access the options below:
- Change PIN: Set a new Avast PIN. To use this option you must first enter your current Avast PIN.
- Set up pattern: Access protected areas in Avast Mobile Security with a swipe gesture rather than a PIN code.
- Use fingerprint: If your device supports fingerprint unlocking, enable this option to access protected areas in Avast Mobile Security using your fingerprint.
- Make pattern visible: Shows your unlock pattern.
- Tap App Lock timeout and specify when your apps lock. The following options are available:
- Immediately: Immediately after you send it to the background.
- After 10 seconds: 10 seconds after you send it to the background.
- After 30 seconds: 30 seconds after you send it to the background.
- After 1 minute: 1 minute after you send it to the background.
- When screen turns off: When your device screen turns off.
For more information about the features available in Avast Mobile Security, refer to the following article:
- Avast Mobile Security - Frequently Asked Questions
- Avast Mobile Security Premium 23.x for Android
- Avast Mobile Security 23.x for Android
- Google Android 8.0 (Oreo, API 26) or later
Updated on: 02/06/2022
On the whole, yes.
Avast is a good antivirus and provides a decent level of security protection. The free version comes with lots of features, although it doesn't protect against ransomware. If you want premium protection, you'll have to upgrade to one of the paid-for options.
Avast Mobile Security for Android is one of the best free antivirus programs for Android users because it enhances your privacy and security with our cutting-edge cybersecurity protections and the world's largest threat-detection network.Why not to use Avast? ›
Another disadvantage is that Avast takes up a lot of system resources, which can slow down your computer if you have an older one with limited hardware capabilities. This can also cause problems if you are using Avast on more than one device, as this will put a strain on your system.How do I install Avast Antivirus on my Android phone? ›
- Download. Download the app from Google Play Store.
- Open the file. Install the Avast Mobile Security app.
- Run your first scan. Run your first scan on your Android device.
One of the main disadvantages of Avast is that it can be a bit pricey. Another disadvantage is that Avast takes up a lot of system resources, which can slow down your computer if you have an older one with limited hardware capabilities.Which is the best free antivirus for Android mobile phone? ›
- Top Pick. TotalAV. TotalAV Antivirus is a free to use antivirus that offers all the essential features to find & remove malware keeping you safe. ...
- #1 Top Pick. TotalAV. 5.0. ...
- #2. Avast. ...
- #3. AVG. ...
- #4. Bitdefender. ...
- #5. McAfee Mobile Security. ...
- #6. ESET Mobile Security. ...
- #7. Malwarebytes.
|Android Antivirus||Malware Detection Rate||Money-Back Guarantee|
|1.🥇 Norton||100%||60 days|
|2.🥈 Bitdefender||100%||30 days|
|3.🥉 McAfee||100%||30 days|
|4. TotalAV||99%||30 days (for yearly plans)|
Many of our computing tasks have shifted from desktop system to phone or tablet. In most cases, Android smartphones and tablets do not need installing the antivirus. However, it is equally valid that Android viruses exist and the antivirus with useful features can add an extra layer of security.Can Avast detect spyware on Android? ›
Avast's Android security software defends your phone from spyware, malicious apps, and other threats. Secure your Wi-Fi network and keep your data where it belongs — right in the palm of your hand. Avast's powerful iOS security app protects against spyware, dangerous websites, and other malicious threats.Is Avast owned by Russia? ›
Avast Software s.r.o. is a Czech multinational cybersecurity software company headquartered in Prague, Czech Republic, that researches and develops computer security software, machine learning, and artificial intelligence.
Avast solutions are popular with millions of users worldwide. Independent experts rate them highly too: in the SE Labs test for Q2 2022, for instance, Avast software detected 98% of threats — only slightly worse than both Kaspersky and McAfee, which shared the top spot (100% of threats).What is a better antivirus than Avast? ›
TotalAV – best alternative to Avast
TotalAV is the best Avast alternative. For starters, the antivirus offers exceptional protection from cyber threats and has the test results to back it up. In a 2022 test by AV-Test, TotalAV has 100% malware detection rates and blocked 97% of zero-day malware attacks.
If your phone does have a virus, you'll notice some changes in its behavior. A typical sign is the sudden existence of poor performance issues. Your phone might slow down when you try to open its browser or another app. Other times, you'll notice some apps behaving suspiciously.Does Avast mobile detect all viruses? ›
Avast's anti-malware protection for Android brings the power of our award-winning cybersecurity apps directly to your phone. Remove malware, secure your Wi-Fi connection, and protect against all kinds of malicious software and other threats.How do I check for malware on my Android? ›
- Open the Play Store on the Android device you want to scan.
- Tap on your profile in the upper-right corner.
- Tap on Play Protect.
- Tap Scan.
- Tap on the option to remove any detected malware.
Installing Android antivirus could help protect against hackers and other threats. Prone to lost or stolen devices: If you frequently lose devices or are afraid of someone stealing yours, invest in additional protection. Some antivirus softwares can help locate devices or remotely wipe any confidential data.Is it safe to use Avast? ›
Overall though, Avast is still one of the better antivirus software programs. It provides excellent malware protection, is super easy to use, and has lots of extra features. All of its plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it out risk-free.Should I install Avast on iPhone? ›
Simply put: we're the best free antivirus for iPhones. Like TechRadar says, “If you're looking for the best iPhone antivirus app then you probably can't get better than Avast Security & Privacy.” Of course, we understand you need a little more than that to trust us with protecting your device.Does Avast detect spyware on phone? ›
Avast One will detect spyware and other malware before it can infect your device, keeping your system clean and making sure your personal information stays private. Stay safe online and install Avast One today.