The 1.19 update: The Wild is finally out in Minecraft. It was released on June 7, 2022. The Wild update introduces lots of new content to the game, such as blocks, biomes, mobs, and so much more. At first, glance, knowing what you can do in The Wild update may be overwhelming. The new update brings major and minor changes to Minecraft.
TheThis IGN guide details everything you'll need to know about The Wild 1.19 update. Here you'll find changes for Java and Bedrock.
Are you looking for something specific? Click the links to jump ahead.
- All Major Changes
- Java Changes
- Bedrock Changes
All Major Changes
Here you'll find all the major changes with The Wild 1.19 for both Java and Bedrock.
The Mangrove Swamp is a new swamp biome with a thick layer of mud on the floor. Bees and Warm Frogs can be found in the Mangrove Swamp. The Mangrove swamp is also known to have large roots, muddy stones, as well as tall and short Mangroves.
The Mangrove tree is a new water-adapted tree that'll spawn prop on roots. These trees grow from Mangrove Propagules, generate Mangrove Propagules on the tree's roots, and spawn bee nests.
Mangrove Wood Blocks
Listed below are all variants of the Mangrove Wood Block.
- Mangrove Log and Stripped Mangrove Log
- Mangrove Wood and Stripped Mangrove Wood
- Mangrove Roots and Muddy Mangrove Roots
- Mangrove Boat, Button, Pressure Plate, Door, Trapdoor, Sign, Slab, Fence, Fence Gate, and Stairs
Mangrove Leaves And Propagules
- Mangrove Propagule is a type of sapling that grows from the bottom of Mangrove Leaves
- Bonemealing Mangrove Leaves will cause a new Propagule to start growing beneath it
- Propagules grow through 4 stages, and growth can be accelerated by bonemealing
- You can break off a fully grown Propagule and plant it like a sapling
- Propagules can be placed and grow on all normal blocks of normal saplings support, plus Mud and Clay
- Propagules can be grown underwater
- The Wandering Trader will now sometimes offer Propagules for sale
Mud is a new block that'll appear in Mangrove biomes, it can be created by using a water bottle on dirt or by hand with a dispenser. When walking in mud you'll run slightly slower like you would with Soul Sand, and Packed Mud can be crafted from Mud.
= Mud Bricks
Mud Bricks are building blocks that can be crafted from Packed Mud. Below you'll find everything you can craft with Mud Bricks using a Crafting Table or Stonecutter.
- Mud Brick Stairs
- Mud Brick Walls
- Mud Brick Slabs
Placing Mud above a block that has pointed Dripstone underneath will eventually turn the Mud Block into Clay
Frogs are a new mob that spawns in Swamps and Mangrove Swamps on Grass, Mud, Mangrove Roots, and Muddy Mangrove Roots. Below you'll find everything a frog can do.
- Frogs can croak
- Frogs can walk on land, swim, and jump
- Frogs can eat small Slimes, causing a Slime Ball to drop
- Frogs can eat small Magma Cubes, causing a Froglight block to drop
- Each Frog variant drops a specific Froglight Block
- Added three Froglight blocks, a type of light source blocks
Tadpoles are a new mob introduced in The Wild update. Below you'll find everything you'll need to know about them.
- Tadpoles can swim in water
- Tadpoles on land “jump around” like fishes on land and eventually dies
- Tadpoles that grow up turn into a Frog
- Tadpoles grow into a different type of frog based on the biome they grow up in (Cold, Temperate, Warm)
- Tadpoles can be caught in a bucket
The Deep Dark is a new biome found in the Overworld. Below you'll find the basics about the Deep Dark.
- Dimly lit and eerie, the Deep Dark is sure to strike fear into the hearts of even the bravest player
- Less flooded than surrounding areas
- The floor of the Deep Dark is covered in sculk
- No mobs spawn in the Deep Dark
The Ancient City can be found underground in the Overworld. Below you'll find the basics about the Ancient City.
- Ancient City structures spawn in Deep Dark biomes.
- In chests guarded by Sculk Sensors and Sculk Shriekers, you can find the new Swift Sneaking enchantment
- You can also find a new mysterious block called Reinforced Deepslate here, which cannot be obtained in Survival
- Mobs cannot spawn in Ancient Cities
Darkness is a new effect that'll apply to players when they're near the Warden and Sculk Shrieker. Below you'll find the effects of Darkness.
- Lowers the gamma to an equivalent of “Moody” while having this effect
- In periodic pulses, will lower the overall brightness of the world so that the darkness creeps up toward light sources
- The icon for the Darkness effect is only shown in the inventory
- A new Accessibility slider has been added in your Options menu called “Darkness Effect.”
- Controls the strength of the Darkness lighting effect
- Does not affect the fog distance
Music Disc 5
Music Disc 5 can only be obtained by finding and crafting 9 Disc Fragments together. These fragments can only be found in Ancient City Chests.
Four New Music Tracks
New music will play whenever players are in specific biomes.
Mobile players will download the updated Minecraft Original Music Pack that's free on the marketplace.
The Recovery Compass can be crafted with Echo Shards, another new item that can only be found in Ancient City Chests.
Swift Sneak is a new enchantment that allows you to move as fast while crouching as you would normally walk.
See a complete guide on the new Sculk Catalyst Block
- Added Sculk Catalyst Block, a mysteriously soul-emitting block that blooms with Sculk patches underneath nearby dying mobs
- Mobs that perish in the presence of the Sculk Catalyst will not drop their experience
- Added Sculk Blocks
- When a mob dies near a Sculk Catalyst, some unknown process seems to consume blocks beneath and turn them into Sculk Blocks
- A Sculk charge that spreads has a chance to consume some of its charge to grow a Sculk Sensor or Sculk Shrieker
- Sculk Blocks have very low blast resistance
- Added Sculk Vein Blocks
- These veins are found on the edge of Sculk patches
- Similar to Glow Lichen, they can be placed in any orientation
- Spreading of veins causes other blocks to be taken over by the sculk
- Sculk Vein can spread underwater
- Added Sculk Shrieker Block
- Sculk Shriekers can be found growing rarely from the charge of a Sculk Catalyst
- Sculk Shrieker can be waterlogged
- Notable for its boney appendages, this block responds to Sculk Sensors detecting vibrations by sending out a warning call to distant Wardens
- Initially, it may take some time for a Warden to arrive, but you’ll hear it responding in the distance…
- Once it’s close enough, a call from the Sculk Shrieker will summon the Warden nearby - be prepared!
- Souls from mobs will spread through Sculk Veins and Sculk Blocks in random directions until they find a valid substrate they can feed off of
- The charge from souls in the Sculk Blocks and Sculk Veins will eventually decay, but it will decay slower within close vicinity of the Sculk Catalyst and faster when further away from its host
- If the charge is dropped outside the range of the Catalyst, it has a chance of growing a Sculk Sensor
- Sculk, Sculk Veins, and Sculk Catalysts require Silk Touch to acquire
- If mined without Silk Touch, they will drop experience instead
- The efficient tool for all Sculk family blocks is the Hoe
A new hostile mob that spawns in the Deep Dark.
Changes To Vibrations
- Carpets, like Wool Blocks, will now dampen the vibrations caused by their placing, breaking, or dropping as items
- Carpets now also dampen the vibrations caused by running and jumping over them
- item_interact_start and item_interact_finish vibrations are ignored if sneaking
- Allays will collect all the surrounding items that match the item they are holding
- Allays will like a player who hands them an item and will bring the items they collect to their liked player
- If the Allay hears a Note Block play, that Note Block becomes the Alley's favorite Note Block for 30 seconds
- The Allay will stay near that Note Block for that duration and bring its collected items to Note Block instead of to the player
- Interacting with an Allay with an empty hand will remove the item the Allay is holding
- Allays can be found at Pillager Outposts and in Woodland Mansions
- Allays are immune to damage from their liked player
- Allays have a natural health regen of 2 health per second
Boats With Chest
Players can now put chests on boats.
Goats will now drop goat horns when they ram into trees or any hard blocks such as Log, Stone, Packed Ice, Iron Ore, Copper Ore, or Emerald Ore.
Minecraft 1.19 Advancements
- Added “It Spreads” for killing a mob near a Sculk Catalyst
- Added “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” for having an Allay deliver items to you
- Added “Birthday Song” for having an Allay drop a Cake at a Note Block
- Added “With our Powers Combined” for having all Froglights in your inventory
- Added “Bukkit Bukkit” for catching a Tadpole in a Bucket
- Added “When the Squad Hops into Town” for getting each Frog variant on a Lead
- Added “Sneak 100” for sneaking near a Sculk Sensor or Warden to prevent it from detecting you
- Added Darkness effect to the “How Did We Get Here?” advancement
Predictability Of Randomized Events
Some randomized events are now more predictable and no longer have a possibility of extreme behaviors:
- Placement and velocity of things dropped from Droppers/Dispensers
- Placement and velocity of items spawned from containers upon destroy
- Randomized follow_range component attribute for mobs
- The velocity of Horses spawned from Skeleton Traps
- Blaze random position and randomized speed of Blaze projectiles
- The randomized portion of damage and velocity of Arrows
- The randomized flight pattern of Fireworks
- Bobbing patterns and time until a Fish appears for Fishing Rods
New recipes for Chest/Furnace/TNT/Hopper will be shapeless, and when the minecart is broken, it'll drop as one instead of splitting into two.
Endermen, Skeletons, Wither Skeletons, and Piglins now spawn in a wider range of light levels in the Nether (from light level 0 to 11).
This makes it possible for more types of mobs to spawn inside Nether Portals, which causes them to instantly change dimensions after spawning.
Here you'll find all the Java changes for The Wild 1.19 update.
Minecraft Technical 1.19 updates:
- The data pack format is now 10
- The resource pack format is now 9
- Added the ability for data and resource packs to selectively hide files from packs below them
- Added kill_mob_near_sculk_catalyst advancement trigger
- Added thrown_item_picked_up_by_player advancement trigger
- Added allay_drop_item_on_block advancement trigger
- Added avoid_vibration advancement trigger
- Removed field location from triggers location, slept_in_bed, hero_of_the_village, and voluntary_exile - it was handled exactly the same as a player. location
- Some mutually exclusive tests in entity predicate (player, fishing_hook, lightning_bolt, and catType) have been collapsed to the type_specific field.
- Removed the place feature command
- Added the place command
- The locate command is now moved to locate structure, and locate biome is moved to locate biome.
- Added locate poi <type: point_of_interest_type=""></type:>
- Added the loot table function set_instrument
- The bundled Java runtime has been updated to 17.0.3
- The M1 ARM64 architecture is now supported
- LWJGL library has been updated to version 3.3.1
- Banner patterns available in the Loom can now be controlled with tags (banner_pattern/no_item_required for no pattern item and banner_pattern/pattern_item/* for specific banner pattern items)
- Added new font glyph provider for spaces
- Added new game events
- Renamed some game events
- CatType fields on entities with the type Minecraft: cat has been replaced with variants, with numeric values being replaced with string ids (so, for example, 5 becomes Minecraft: calico)
- The type of the field Id in the mob effect structure (for example, in the ActiveEffects list on entities) has been changed from byte to int.
- Added Minecraft: darkness mob effect
- Added sonic_explosion particle
- World presets/types and flat world presets in the “Create World” screen can now be controlled by datapacks
- Servers can now enable Chat Preview, which displays a server-controlled preview above the chat edit box.
- Servers can now define different chat-style formats for clients
- Added server property max-chained-neighbor-updates to limit the number of consecutive neighbor updates before skipping additional ones
- Negative values remove the limit
- Servers will also send an additional icon and MOTD packet after a player has connected.
- This allows servers with enable-status=false to set an icon and MOTD for players that successfully connect
Here you'll find all the changes for the Bedrock version.
New Minecraft Achievements
Listed below are the new achievements in Minecraft The Wild 1.19 update.
- It Spreads - Kill a mob next to a catalyst
- Birthday Song - Have an Allay drop a cake at a note block
- With Our Powers Combined! - Have all 3 frog lights in your inventory
- Sneak 100 - Sneaking next to a Sculk Sensor without triggering it
Baby Llamas will no longer be able to spit fire above their heads.
Updated Boat item icon textures to make them consistent with Java Edition
Here are all the changes happening with blocks:
- Fences and Walls no longer connect to Bells and Brewing Stands.
- Fixed a bug where the Brewing Stand's arms textures did not touch the base.
- Moved the Brewing Stand's base UVs and updated the base texture.
- Fixed the Brewing Stand's arms rotation.
- Created a better transition between the End Portal Frame side texture and the End Stone.
- Removed unused pixels at the End Rod texture.
- Updated the Mycelium's side texture to match other dirt-based textures.
- Fixed Light Blocks being destroyable from within while underwater.
Here are all the changes happening with the Wandering Trader:
- The Wandering Trader no longer opens or closes doors.
- The Wandering Trader now randomly moves around.
- The Wandering Trader now matches Java Edition's drinking sounds.
- The Wandering Trader now has to disappear/reappear sound effects when gaining/losing Invisibility.
- The Wandering Trader can now be named with a Name Tag. (this will not prevent it from despawning)
- Shulkers are now fire immune.
- Shulkers now remain in an upright position in vehicles.
- Shulkers no longer fail to spawn when there’s another Shulker at relative negative y and x-axis.
A mode that allows the player to fly through any object and observe the world.
Learn more about Minecraft with some of our other helpful guides:
- Minecraft Biomes
- Minecraft Characters
- How to Breed All Animals in Minecraft
- How to Tame a Horse in Minecraft
- How to Tame All Animals in Minecraft
- Minecraft Mobs
- Allay in Minecraft
- Minecraft Enchantments
- How to find Diamonds in Minecraft
- Minecraft Recipes
Up Next: Minecraft Update Bedrock Edition: 1.19.20 Details
Top Guide Sections
- Minecraft Patch 1.20 Trails and Tales Update
- Beginner's Guide - Basics and Features
- Survival Guide: Things to Do First in Minecraft
Was this guide helpful?
In This Guide